Friday, March 1, 2013

Airbrushed Fridays: 1974 Topps Traded #59T


I'm almost caught up with trades, but I still owe cards to Potch, Backstop Cards, Buck Store Cards and The Writer's Journey. I am also trying to work out deals with 1st & Home/iCollectBallCards, Scott Crawford and The Sandlot. I also am waiting to hear back from a few people in the basketball card club. Did I miss anyone? Let me know. I'm pretty disorganized.

Who is this week's victim, and why do we care? Ross Grimsley was a lefty starting pitcher who bounced around from team to team, playing mostly in the '70s. His best season came in 1978, where he was voted to the All-Star team, won 20 games and pitched 19 complete games. His (completely awesome) nicknames included Scuz and Crazy Eyes.


Why is this a thing? Grimsley had spent his entire major league career up until this point with the Reds. As you can also read on the back of the card, he was traded to the Orioles in exchange for Merv Rettenmund. A few other players were involved in the swap, but Topps deemed them to be of little consequence. The cartoon bird on Grimsley's cap looks a little sheepish about the whole thing.

Airbrushed Fridays is a regular, weekly feature as the name seems to imply. If you know of a card with an altered photograph that you'd like to see featured, please contact me. You probably won't win anything other than a hyperlink and this card, I guess, but you never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.