Saturday, August 27, 2011

Sportflix and Extra Bases

Cardboard Collections ran a mid-'90s oddball group break last month that I was lucky enough to pounce on. These two sets, 1995 Sportflix and 1994 Fleer Extra Bases are full of fun. I am a fan of anything Sportflix, Sportflics and other spelling variations. Oversized cards, on the other hand, are very frustrating to store but fun to look at. I'll have to stop by one of those card shops that has Ultra Pro sheets to fit any size someone could possibly think of.

There must have been a lack of available photos of Danny Jackson as he was a recent acquisition at the time. Instead, one of the images is just the old Cardinals logo. The Cards wore '85 throwback home jerseys last night and I am starting to wish they'd just use them from now on, or at least consider them as an alternate. I can only think of one other team that seems to shun the idea of alternate jerseys: the Yankees. St. Louis added an alternate (Sunday home games) hat about 10-12 years ago, so it's not like they haven't changed before.

It was just Cardinals that I received in this break. I believe I was randomly assigned another team, which turned out to be the Mariners. That's a good team to have in the mid-'90s. Just ask The Lost Collector in a week or so when he receives his cards from my own group break.

The rainbow of check marks is pretty silly.

Here's a rainbowy "rookie" of Alex Rodriguez. I believe A-Rod's "rookie card year" is actually 1994.

Fleer Extra Bases meant extra tall cards. The first cards of this size that I ever saw were the old NFL GameDay cards from around 1992 or 1993. Those looked really nice, but again... the storage issue.

Somehow a Darryl Kile sneaked its way into my stash! How did that happen? Shh... don't tell anyone. Someday I'll work on that list of DK cards that I own...

There were inserts-a-plenty, just none on the Cardinals side of things. These Rookie Standouts were apparently the Extra Bases version of Rookie Sensations. They look goofy.

With the film strip on the side, instead of getting several different images of Bobby Ayala in succession, they just give you a closer and closer crop of the same image. Amusing.

The Mariners brought back the teal look this season. They wear it for every Monday and Friday home game. It's a look.

2 comments :

  1. I have some of those pages that fit the tall cards...do you want any?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 3/4 of a box of Extra Bases dupes if you'd like to go for the team set and inserts or something. Email at QAPLAGCA at yahoo.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.