Monday, September 27, 2010

Crinkly Cardinals

The Cardinals staved off elimination, at least for another day, by knocking off the Pirates tonight. In celebration (okay, fine, I was going to do it anyway) I decided to post the results of a trade with Crinkly Wrappers. Inside of a larger box was a smaller box - actually an old Topps Traded set box - full of Cardinals needs and set building needs. Two of the cards were actually part of a set I finally finished off tonight (with another box), but that's not what tonight's post is about. Confused? That's okay.

I get a kick out of MLB Showdown cards and other companies' attempts at making a game out of baseball cards in a way that I never do with Topps Attax. I don't really understand it. I also had no idea that Darren Bragg was ever on the Cardinals. It's quite possible that I forgot, actually.

Rick Ankiel was not included in the base Topps set at all this year, making this a really interesting card for me. I don't know right off the top of my head if he made the collectable team set, but I'm guessing that he didn't. He could still appear in the Update set, but considering that he has changed teams twice since St. Louis, you won't see this photo utilized again.

This Yadi card, along with Ankiel above, are blue serial numbered parallels from the 2010 Opening Day set. I have a feeling these will end up in repacks for years to come, but the blue parallels seem fairly easy to obtain and I like the color.

Which one of these cards is not like the others? There were quite a few set needs in the box, but I figured I'd grab a 2006 Bazooka card since I don't think it gets enough attention. I have looked several times online for cheap Bazooka stuff and I am not having a lot of look. I can't even really explain why I like this set so much, but I do.

6 comments :

  1. I am ashamed by how many Opening Day packs I've purchased, and I haven't pulled one blue bordered card. Just endless amounts of Angels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Musial at the top looks like some of the cards my LCS was giving away with any purchase. I didn't finish the set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That font is perfect for Lew Ford, just epitomizes who he is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A package from Crinkly Wrappers is ALMOST as good as one from Cards on Cards... I ripped Opening Day like a crazy person in 2007 and have since learned my lesson. I do love the blue parallels though...
    Glad the Pirates didn't put up too much resistance to you guys last night... Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big fan of the Bazooka sets too. Haven't started collecting a set of them yet...but after consulting my crystal ball, I can see a set of these in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Bazooka, got a retail basketball box at Shopko back in the day for like $14.99, and it was awesome. It's sorta like a throwback to just before the '90s went completely batcrap insane with the creativity and card tech. I likes it too, would like to find a baseball box someday.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.