Friday, September 24, 2010

NOT Airbrushed Fridays: 1976 Topps #109

Are you serious, man? No one is going to airbrush Larry Lintz. Larry Lintz wants no part of the A's. Have you heard about that American League, man? They have some new thing going on this season where the pitcher doesn't have to bat, and someone gets to sit on the bench all game and just bat whenever his name is called. Just bat? Seriously?

Why did Topps... Hey, look man, I'm not changing my shirt! I'll just throw a towel over my shoulder and call it cool. I've got some grounders to take. And some batting practice. With pitchers! Pitchers bat in my league.

What's wrong with this picture, anyway? Nothing is wrong! Except that whole... Oakland... thing. (And the racially insensitive cartoon on the back of this card. - madding) They don't play the right kind of baseball in Oakland. If I have to play for an American League team, I'm not even going to bat. That's right. I'm just going to run. Maybe I'll bat one time, but that's it.

1 comment :

  1. Of course, Topps actually had him in a Cards uniform, even though he was a short-timer.

    I am perennially intrigued by the 76 A's. Playing 2 1/2 weeks with 22 men (including Lintz and Matt Alexander as PRs) thanks to the Rudi / Fingers / Blue debacles. Sal Bando steals 20 bases.

    I guess Lintz was a bit irked about the whole PR thing since he was an actual player and not a sprinter in stirrups.

    Ya dig?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.