Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Trading with Reader Daniel

Reader Daniel from WV and I recently completed a trade that netted me a large box of cards. Are you surprised? Did you know that I like baseball cards?

My want list took a direct hit, as Daniel was able to eliminate some recently added '80s needs and a handful of more recent Cardinals stuff. There's a certain part of me that wants to put together every O-Pee-Chee set going backwards from 1992 (instead of Topps) just to be different. (Don't start sending me cards, please.)

This is one of my favorite cards of all-time... Leaf style! I would also be too tempted to collect the Donruss-Leaf Canadian equivalents.

I don't know how I ended up not owning this card, but it's back in my collection for now. Fleer's Super Star Special cards are as awesome as Donkey Kong and Pop Rocks.

Daniel knocked out a huge chunk of my 1985 Fleer want list, including an actual happy Hall of Famer named Sutter.

I also received what appears to be the entire 1987 Portland Beavers team set. Here's a rare look at the skipper who led the Phillies to the 2008 World Series title. The Beavers themselves were in their first year as Twins affiliates, which happened to be a championship year for Minnesota.

And yes, that's Billy "Moneyball" Beane, still the GM of the A's.

Pat Casey is the coach of the Oregon State Beavers college baseball team, winners of back to back national championships. I can't root for Oregon State baseball anymore, now that the Ducks have a team again.

There was also a nice pile of junk wax era Blazers in the box. This is one of my all-time favorite Blazer card photos, where Cliff Robinson looks like he's dunking on a really short hoop for some reason.

Daniel promised a Clint Hurdle auto as well. I wonder if this was a "TTM" request or one that was signed in person. I never really think to seek autographs of players, but it's nice when people send them to me. Hurdle is now the Rangers hitting coach, a team that has experienced quite a resurgence this season, especially with the bats.

1 comment :

  1. I like the Charlie Manuel card. It looks like they went out of their way to let you know he is a "MAN".

    ReplyDelete

Comments are highly encouraged, but then again, so is eating your fruits and vegetables.